Initial thoughts on the Fujinon XF23mm f2 R WR.

In my last few posts I've been preparing for my 'one lens, one camera' reduction to my photography kit. And finally, after only a few days, the wait is over. My 'new' Fujinon XF23mm f2 R WR arrived - all packaged up in its original box - safe and sound.

The image on the left is of the actual lens, purchased off of an NZ Fujifilm Facebook group member (thanks Clint). I think it looks beautiful in all-silver to match my silver and black X-E2, although previously I would probably have been an all-black kinda guy.

Having only ever used the XC lenses thus far on my Fujifilm cameras, I was immediately struck by the extra attention to detail on the 23mm f2, as well as the extra heft. Even though the XC16-50mm actually weighs a little more than the 23mm f2 (15 grams more to be exact), the prime ends up feeling a little heavier (or should that be more solid), because of its metal construction.

Morning walk, Cobden. Fujifilm X-E2 with Fujinon XF23mm. f5.6 @ 1/750th, ISO 200

Another great feature of the XF23mm f2 that I didn't realise I'd missed until I had it again, is the actual aperture ring on the lens. Bliss. It has wonderful, clickable f-stops, in 1/3rd increments, that are a joy to use. Shooting (as I predominantly do) in aperture priority, means that I can now control aperture old-school, on the lens itself, without fiddling around on the back of the camera to use the click wheel. The X-E2 still doesn't have a dedicated ISO wheel (a-la the X-T series), but I have the top function button programmed for this, so it's still a relatively quick and accessible change.

The images here in this post are just my first few 'snaps' taken with the XF23mm. Nothing spectacular, and I'm not 'pixel-peeping' or doing any extensive testing of the lens. But straight off the bat I get the feeling that these are certainly sharper than what I was getting out of the XC16-50mm (noting that sharpness isn't everything). I will probably do a side-by-side comparison in the next post, but I can probably already predict what the outcome will be.

The Fujinon XF23mm f2 is well known for being a sharp optic - if somewhat soft in the corners wide-open at f2. Doesn't bother me, since I will most likely use this lens from f4 upwards anyway - at which case it should exhibit excellent edge-to-edge sharpness. Still, it will be interesting to do my own testing of this lens, to see how it performs at various apertures, and against my kit lens at the 35mm focal length. But from a 'looks' and usability standpoint, I'm already onto a winner with the 23mm f2. 

White and Grey Heron's, Cobden lagoon. X-E2 with Fujinon XF23mm. f/8 @ 1/300th, ISO 200 

Inasmuch as I enjoy the looks, the usability, and the image quality from the 23mm Fujinon, it is still a fixed focal length prime lens. And this is going to take some getting used to. The above photo is a perfect example.

I have a real thing for white heron's. They are magnificent birds, and I love photographing them. There is a particularly beautiful one who feeds at my local lagoon, and on this morning he/she(?) was just hanging out in some gorgeous morning light, minding its own business and begging to be photographed. I often think it actually poses for me! But as tame as it might be - as can be seen from the shot above - there's no way I'm going to get a decent (intimate portrait) shot of the heron with the 23mm (35mm equivalent fov). If the 23mm is going to be my only lens from now on, I just have to be at peace with that. And I'm really not sure that I can be? 

White Lily. Fujifilm X-E2 with Fujinon XF23mm. f3.2 @ 1/4000th. ISO 200 

Does that mean the whole 'one lens, one camera' thing is over before it's even begun? Am I getting rid of the 23mm f2 without even giving it a chance?

Well no. I'll certainly be keeping the XF23mm f2 - for the time being at least. It's a beautiful lens, and I want to give it a decent go. I've said in the past that I'm not really a 'prime' kinda guy. I think what that really means is that I haven't given primes lenses a decent shot. I also suspect that it means I'm a bit of a 'lazy' photographer who composes with the zoom lens rather than with my feet? So yes, I want to give this 'one camera, one lens' minimalist approach a decent go before I dismiss it completely as 'not for me'.

As I mentioned in my last post, I still have the Fujinon XC16-50mm and XC50-230mm zoom lenses if I go crazy and simply must use a zoom lens for some occasion (like white heron photography perhaps?). But I'm hoping to be disciplined - for a while at least - and give this 35mm fov a serious try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My X-E1 Film Simulation Recipe C2: Acros

My Fujifilm X-E2 film recipes for Landscapes

Making the move to Capture One