'Upgrading' my Fujifilm X-E2

Swans and Cygnets. Fujifilm X-E2 with Fujinon XC50-230mm. f/7 @ 1/2000th

I absolutely love using my Fujifilm X-E2. Just like I loved using the X-E1 before it. I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the rangefinder-style ergonomics, especially with the lightweight XC lenses, even though I come from a predominantly SLR camera-style background.

That being said, I do prefer to use the X-E2 with an additional grip attached. As well as the thumb rest that attaches to the hotshoe. With these in place, handling is about right for such a small camera. Without them attached, it's just too small - even though I have average sized hands.

Since it has a range-finder style body, the evf is off to the left of the camera - instead of in the middle as with SLR style bodies. You would think that this would be a positive - just raise the camera up to your right eye to shoot and the whole left side of your face is free. No nose-smudging of the lcd screen. Unfortunately, I'm left-eye dominant, and prefer to have my left eye looking through the evf. Which places my nose smack-bang back in smudge territory! Try as I might, I can't break this habit (after 35+ years of shooting this way) - so the left-aligned evf on the X-E2 isn't that great of a benefit to me. Nevermind.

Swan Lake. Fujifilm X-E2 with Fujinon XC50-230mm. f/8 @ 1/340th, ISO 400

So maybe more than the 'actual' ergonomics of the camera, it's actually the range-finder aesthetic and 'vibe' that I find most attractive in the X-E series? If this is true, this realisation will become important going forward, as I look now at the 'upgrade' path from my X-E2.

I guess the first question that needs addressing is "why do I want to upgrade my X-E2 at all? And that's a good question. Especially since I started this post with the sentence "I absolutely love using my X-E2". Because I do - honestly. I don't have a problem with the sensor - it's 16MP of glorious X-Trans goodness! And I've argued elsewhere, and will continue to do so, that 16MP is more than enough for most of us. I don't have a problem with the way the camera handles either. I love the weight and size of it - and it's a joy to use, especially with the extra grip and thumb-rest attached. And I also don't have a problem with its feature-set in terms of burst-rate, buffer, ISO range, shutter speed range or responsiveness etc. It's plenty fast enough for a landscape shooter like me who doesn't want, or need, the latest AF tracking or 4k video. None of that leaves me wanting.

Cobden Lagoon towards Greymouth. Fujifilm X-E2

So what more do I want out of the X-E2? Really, it comes down to the software/firmware and the supported film simulation features of the newer models. I'd love to play around with images in Fuji's X-Raw Studio software to create and save my own film recipes - something that isn't supported on the X-E2. And, if I continue down the SOOC jpeg-only track (which it seems likely that I might), then I would dearly love to have in-camera grain settings, and the Acros film simulation - again both not supported in the X-E2. Finer 'tweaking' of these in-camera film simulation recipes is possible with the later models, including the ability to save the recipes as actual names, not just C1, C2 etc... All of which is enticing and enough to make me want to 'upgrade'.

But upgrade to what? Another great question. And one which I had assumed I would answer quite simply - with the Fujifilm X-E3.

The X-E3 is the X-E2, but newer! With all of the added features I've just outlined, and the same gorgeous retro rangefinder styling I know and love.

It upgrades the sensor to 24MP - not a big deal for me, but hey, I'll take it. It also adds the Acros film simulation, the grain settings, and the finer adjustments that I'm after for film simulation recipes. It's supported by X-Raw Studio software, has bluetooth connectivity, and a host of other minor improvements that all add up to a 'newer' camera. The perfect candidate as an upgrade to the X-E2. And that's exactly what I was thinking - right until I watched a Youtube video by Andrew and Denae.

In this video, Andrew was deciding which to keep between two cameras - the X-E3, and the X-T20. This was something of a revelation to me, since I hadn't even really heard of, let alone considered, the X-T20 as an upgrade to my X-E2.

Not only had I never considered the X-T20 but, spoiler alert, Andrew actually ended up choosing it over the X-E3! For reasons which made a lot of sense to me, and probably gelled with what my own thought process would have been.

Seems that the X-T20 is practically an X-E3 in a more SLR-styled form factor. Same 24MP sensor, same film simulations, same film adjustments, same X-Raw Studio support etc... But because of its SLR styling, it adds a tilting lcd screen, has a D-Pad rather than a joystick controller (I prefer the D-Pad), and a dedicated Drive-mode switch rather than the menu-driven option on the X-E3. The differences are subtle, yet at the same time rather significant - and I like it!

White Heron feeding. Fujifilm X-E2 with Fujinon XC50-230mm. f/8 @ 1/60th, ISO 800

It also turns out that, since it has a more 'traditional' SLR style, it's a little more popular of a model, and therefore more available on the used market. There are a few being sold secondhand online at any given time, whereas you seem to have to wait for an X-E3 to come up, generally at a higher price. Presumably this is because at the moment there is no replacement for the X-E3, whereas the X-T20 has been superseded by the X-T30.

My 'upgrade' path for the X-E2 looks more likely to be a return to the SLR-style form factor of the X-T20. Which brings me back to my earlier comments about the evf placement and my left-eye dominance. If I'm going to smudge the viewfinder with my nose no matter what camera I use - rangefinder style or SLR, then I don't mind switching back to the more traditional style camera body. I think it will be totally worth it for the tilting lcd screen, dedicated drive dial and D-Pad navigation.

So there you have it. My 'new' Fujifilm camera is more than likely going to be an X-T20. Very exciting! Now I just need to sell my X-E2 and some other bits and pieces so I can afford to get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My X-E1 Film Simulation Recipe C2: Acros

My Fujifilm X-E2 film recipes for Landscapes

Making the move to Capture One