Fuji X-E2 film simulation: Agfa Optima 200

I'm quickly getting through the custom film simulations that I have programmed into the seven slots on my Fujifilm X-E2. And so far, so good. Recently on this blog, I've covered my Kodak Ektachrome E100SW recipe in the prime C1 slot, Fuji Acros recipe in C2, Kodak Gold 200 recipe in C7, and my Fuji Velvia film simulation in the C5 slot. That leaves just three to go; two more colour and one monochrome film simulation.

Greymouth River. Fuji X-E2 with XC16-50mm + polariser. f/8 @ 1/70th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima

In this post I want to look at the film recipe I have programmed into slot C3 - Agfa Optima 200. Agfa Optima 200 was a professional print film produced by Agfa from 1996 to 2005, and was their sharp, fine-grained print film with natural colours and pleasing skin tones. To be honest I never shot a lot of Agfa colour film, but I did shoot a lot of their black and white film back in the day as they were a supplier to school darkrooms across the country. So why do I have an Agfa print film stock as one of my film simulations?

Coal Wagons. Fuji X-E2 with XC16-50mm + polariser. f/8 @ 1/200th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima 200

There's two reasons why I've included this Agfa recipe on my X-E2. The first is simply because I wanted a 'democratic' mix of different manufacturers represented in my list of seven - and this is my only Agfa profile. I do have a long history with Agfa, and wanted to give a nod to that association on my list.

And the second reason is far more practical - the white balance setting of the Agfa Optima 200 recipe fits in perfectly with the Ektachrome 100SW and Velvia Auto white balance shift (+1R, -1B). That gives me five of the seven custom film simulations (counting the monochrome profiles) that use the same white balance shift. I talk about white balance shifts and film recipes in a previous post here. Agfa Optima also happens to be a more 'natural' print film - so it might get some use for portraiture and travel images with people as subjects.

Coal River Info Panels. X-E2 with 16-50mm + polariser. f/8 @ 1/60th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima

While it might not get a lot of use as a main landscape profile, as you can see from the photo above, with good light and a polarising filter to deepen the blue of the sky, it can produce some vibrant colours. It certainly doesn't 'pop' as much as the Velvia profile would, but it does the job it was intended for - a great all around film - admirably. I like the slightly more subtle, yet still vibrant colours it produced during mid-afternoon on a sunny day. I could happily use this recipe for most of my general colour photography.

No Sense. X-E2 & XC16-50mm + polariser. f/5.6 @ 1/150th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima 200 recipe

If you've read any of my other film simulation recipe posts, then this next bit will start to sound familiar (repetitive?). But I really can't go any further without crediting the work of Ritchie Roesch on his amazing Fuji X Weekly blog. He is the mastermind behind most (should that be all) of the recipes that I'm using - although I have 'tweaked'  most of them ever so slightly. Go check his sight out, where you will find many more film recipes for all makes and models of Fuji cameras. And if you use any of his recipes, then be sure to drop him a few dollars for all his effort for the Fuji community.

Greymouth Floodwall Walk. X-E2 & XC16-50mm. f/8 @ 1/150th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima 200

I absolutely love the colours in the above image of the Greymouth Floodwall Walk. They are natural, yet the image is still richly colourful. This was one of the first I took after taking the polarising filter off the front of the lens, and you can tell that it's made a difference to the 'punchiness' in the blues. This is more 'true-to-life' than with the polariser added - not surprisingly - and I really love the colours that the Agfa Optima film simulation on the X-E2 produced. Yummy.

DP1 Cafe. Fujifilm X-E2 with XC16-50mm. f/5.6 @ 1/105th, ISO 200. Agfa film recipe


So what are the settings for the Agfa Optima 200 film simulation on the Fujifilm X-E2 with X-Trans II sensor?

Agfa Optima 200 Recipe
Film base: Provia
Dynamic range: 100
Highlight Tone: -2
Shadow Tone: +2
Colour: -2
Noise Reduction: -2
Sharpness: 0
White balance: Auto (+1R, -1B)
ISO: Auto up to 3200

Reflected Building. f/8 @ 1/250th, ISO 200. Agfa Optima recipe

I wasn't expecting to be as taken with the Agfa Optima 200 film simulation as I am. I don't really know how close it is to the 'real' thing, and I don't really care. As I've also mentioned in my previous posts on these in-camera film simulations, they are really just a feeling.

When I pick up my X-E2 to go out and shoot, I make a conscious decision of what 'film' (recipe) to pop into the camera, based on the lighting and subject I'll be shooting. Agfa Optima 200 will be my all-round, travel and general colour film stock, although it may also be a toss up between it and the E100SW recipe? But for now, I'm loving the colour in these images. Agfa Optima 200 may well have pushed its way up the ranks from an occasional use, to a go-to, film simulation? Time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My X-E1 Film Simulation Recipe C2: Acros

Making the move to Capture One

My Fujifilm X-E2 film recipes for Landscapes