Why the X10 (and not the X100)?

I suspect, like a lot of X10 shooters, I am not alone in having already shot with its 'bigger' brother - the Fuji X100. It has, after all, been out for a couple of years now, and is (not surprisingly) a very popular camera for those looking for a solid performer in a retro compact(ish) body.

I had the opportunity to shoot with one about 6 months ago - albeit very briefly - just long enough to enjoy the experience and spark my interest in actually owning my own Fuji compact camera. Just not the X100. And why not?

Fuji X100 shot in jpeg, Velvia film simulation
I'm not going to beat around the bush - it's the lens. No, there's nothing wrong with the lens - it's a beautiful, sharp, fast 35mm optic. But for me, that's just the problem. It's only a fixed 35mm optic. And I'm not a fixed 35mm kind of guy.

When Fuji first talked about the X100, they set up a website to get customer feedback (yeah, I know, on a camera they hadn't even released yet). I, among many others, thanked them on designing such a cool, retro looking camera. But couldn't they rethink the fixed 35mm lens design?

Fuji X100, B&W film simulation
I appreciate that this flies in the face of all you 'street shooters' out there, who all own Leica's with one lens, and who function on a higher plane than us mere mortals. But honestly, how many of you are there? The term 'street shooter' has become synonymous with the smaller, retro, 4/3rd type camera bodies, and if you buy one you instantly discover your inner Cartier-Bresson. Now, every second photographer is a 'street shooter', whereas five years ago I'm quite sure that less than a handful of people in the entire world would have ever called themselves that? Are we all really that gullible?

Be that as it may, the Fuji X100 was the 'Leica for the rest of us', And despite a few hiccups (a less than reliable focus system on some of the earlier production models), Fuji sold (and continue to sell) a bucket load of them.

When I used the X100, I must admit I loved the styling, the handling and the images that it produced. I had no issues at all with focus, and although not cutting edge, Fuji's menu and navigation systems were intuitive (to me at least) and adequate. What I didn't like - a lot - was that damn fixed focal lens! If only they had produced it with a more usable 28-105(ish) fast zoom.

Fuji X100, B&W film simulation
Enter the Fuji X10. Not that I want to suggest that the X10 is simply an X100 with a zoom lens. It's not. It's smaller, lighter (not always a good thing), has a smaller sensor, comes with a few shooting quirks via its EXR sensor technology, and shipped initially with it's own problem (how's your white orbs?). But, it does have a zoom lens on it, going out to 28mm and in to 112mm (an odd place to stop - I'd have been happy with 105, but I'm also not complaining).

All the shots taken above, with the Fuji X100, were shot within the 'limitations' of the X100's fixed 35mm lens - especially those taken at the wharf. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad lens (far from it), but I am saying that I found it very limiting in every day use because for most of the shots I took down at the wharf I wanted to get closer, or wider, and it simply wasn't possible using the X100.

When you're standing on a 4 foot wide pier, with water all around you, and you want to get in closer on your subject in the water, the only real option you have is to shoot what you can get and crop later in post. It's an option, but not one I'm happy with. 99% of the time I crop in-camera, so when I physically can't move, the lens does the moving for me. I'm a zoom user, and proud of it. So the X100 didn't suit my style at all - as much as I loved using the camera and wanted to buy one, I couldn't.

Fuji X10, Shot at 112mm
That's why I jumped at the X10. And why I'm enjoying using it. Without cropping, I couldn't (wouldn't) have taken the shot above with the X100, but it happens to be one of my favourites taken on a recent outing with the X10.

If you really are a street shooter, I bet you'll love the Fuji X100 (if you don't own it already). If you tried the X100 and it didn't gel with you, then may I suggest you give the Fuji X10 a go? You may just find Cartier-Bresson wasn't for you after all. Maybe you should be channeling your inner Rick Sammon instead?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My X-E1 Film Simulation Recipe C2: Acros

Making the move to Capture One

My Fujifilm X-E2 film recipes for Landscapes